Below are some hints and tips for you to use on the day.
- Be positive: Keep smiling, make eye contact and be enthusiastic. People respond really well to positivity, and you’ll have a much more fun day.
- Don’t be shy: Feel free to chat to people. Say good morning or good afternoon. You can ask them for a donation; just don’t overdo it. If people want to talk to you about their experiences, talk to them.
- Say thank you: And not just to those who give a donation. Thank people who have chosen not to donate at that time as they may well donate a later point.
- Location, location, location: If you have a choice over where you can stand, then look for places where there are plenty of pedestrians – supermarkets, busy shopping precincts, near zebra crossings, etc.
- Find your own space: Don’t stand too close to your fellow collectors. You don’t want to create a barrier or cause an obstruction.
- Check the regulations: Your collection organiser will give you specific instructions for your area. Make sure you follow these and if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask them.
- Equipment check: You’ll be given a tin to collect your donations in and a box to hold the crosses. If you need to empty the tin please do this into one of the grey bags provided and store in a safe place. Your collection organiser will be able to refill your box with crosses.
- What to wear: This depends on where you are collecting and what the weather will be like (if you’re outside) so make sure you check the forecast the day before. The essentials are a good pair of shoes and warm clothing but the rest is up to you. You will be given a tabard to wear over your outfit so don’t worry about wearing specific colours or any branded clothing you may have.
- Have fun: We want you to have a fun day and enjoy your day volunteering! Take photos and share these online with #yellowcrosses.
If you have any additional questions please feel free to give our office a call on 08454 130999.
Calls cost 3ppm plus your access charge.